As a young girl born in the Northwest of the USA, my dream was to become a nun. Growing up Roman Catholic, I saw the nuns have a spirtual presence that attracted me until I reached the age of 14. It was then I started having misgivings about Catholic doctrine, so I gravitated towards the Protestant faiths. The trinity was a lingering concern for me. I often just tried "to have faith" but my own logic overruled this, so many considered me "not serious enough to be spiritual". At the age of 20 I began talking religion to a cab driver, and heard the term Islam for the first time from a real person. The nightly news talked about Islam and the Muslims - sure, they were called terrorists. I presented this to my driver, who Alhamdulillah laughed softly and suggested I read Al-Quran. Actually, I read a few books on Islam first, then the Quran. This is when I knew I could have both my faith and logic, and Alhamdulillah I found I wasn't crazy after all. It took another two years before I took Shahada, and another two before hijab.
Alhamdullah now at 29, I have my faith, health, oh, and a terrific husband as well (this is one of my first prayers or duas answered!). My story is not unusual, quite boring if you are not me I suppose, yet I never tire of telling others my story. I could tell of my family, that would be unusual. They have never been happier with me, although my sister still does not like my hijab, all members are in agreement, I am happier, more centered, and above all I have peace where before was chaos and confusion. It didn't happen over night, I have worked and am still working at this, you don't "convert" and that is it, everyday comes the struggle to learn, only now I welcome struggle. Inshallah, God Willing, my story has inspired someone, at any rate thank you for reading my story. May Allah Guide those who Search.
Jul. 29th, 1999
- Noor - UK/Hindu - 26/07/2007 07:25
- Maryam Jameelah (Formerly Margaret Marcus) - USA/Jew - Well-known writer - 26/07/2007 07:17
- Jenni Rauhala (Sumaiyah) - Finland/Christian - 26/07/2007 07:14
- Amina Mosler - German/Christian - 26/07/2007 07:08
- 17 year old Caucasian American girl - USA/Catholic - 19/07/2007 07:33
- Akifah Baxter - USA/Christian background - 19/07/2007 06:22 - Read 370 times
- Jenni Rauhala (Sumaiyah) - Finland/Christian - 26/07/2007 07:14 - Read 477 times
- Beauty And The East - How Sara Bokker Found Islam - 10/07/2011 12:20 - Read 975 times
- Amina Mosler - German/Christian - 26/07/2007 07:08 - Read 490 times
- Daughter of a Rajput family embraces Islam - 15/05/2012 10:56 - Read 910 times